So you want to be a Celebrant?
Becoming an Independent Celebrant is not a career choice for everyone. Candidates for the UK Society of Celebrants Celebrant Training Courses would benefit from having had experience speaking in public or at least have no reservations with the prospect of speaking in public. Similarly, access to and confidence in the use of a computer (to access the Internet, email and word processing) may be of a considerable benefit to all candidates.
We can help you to become the best celebrant you can be!
There is considerable confusion within the celebrant industry with regards to the terminology used when referring to celebrants. To alleviate this confusion we have simplified the terms below in order that anyone visiting this site is clear of our interpretation.
- A Family Celebrant is a Celebrant that can write and deliver Wedding Ceremonies / Civil Partnership Ceremonies, Renewal of Vows Ceremonies, Naming Ceremonies or other Life Event Ceremonies that are conventionally accepted as being joyous & happy in nature. People referred to as a Wedding Celebrant or Marriage Celebrant can also be referred to as a Family Celebrant
- A Funeral Celebrant is a Celebrant that can write and officiate over Funeral Ceremonies, Memorials, Commemorations or other Life Event Ceremonies that are conventionally accepted as dealing with a death or loss.
- A Civil Celebrant is a celebrant who can practice as both a Family & Funeral Celebrant
All the above definitions may also be prefixed with one or more of the following as is your want: Independent, Secular, Humanist, Non-denominational, Spiritual, or Atheist to name but a few.
The United Kingdom Society of Celebrants caters predominantly for “Secular Celebrants”, that is to say that religion is of little significance in our training and practice. That said, we have trained many celebrants who come from a wide range of faith backgrounds who have gone on to develop niches in specific ethnic / cultural / religious groups.
Celebrant Training | Course Options
The United Kingdom Society of Celebrants have developed a series of Celebrant Training Courses for prospective and practicing Independent Celebrants. This training will equip candidates with all they need to embark on a rewarding career as an Independent Celebrant specialising in one or all of the following; Weddings Ceremonies / Civil Partnership Ceremonies, Funeral Ceremonies, Naming Ceremonies. Our Civil Celebrant Training encompasses both our Family & Funeral Civil Celebrant Training Packages (see below).
Each course option has been written by and is delivered by practicing Independent Civil Celebrants wi
th formal teaching experience. We offer three formal courses for prospective celebrants :
Option 1 – Diploma in Family & Funeral Celebrancy
Option 2 – Certificate in Funeral Celebrancy
Option 3 – Certificate in Family Celebrancy
Several training methods are utilised to deliver our civil celebrant courses. You choose when and how you will learn. Each course can be delivered via any of the methods below:
- Option A – Distance Learning – 4 to 13 week Computer based Guided Learning Programmes – Live 1:1 Tutorial Support (Skype / online)- includes ALL Course Materials / Workbooks / Assessments / Resource Pack – 1 Year Membership of UKSOC – ongoing mentoring, profile page, peer group support & IT Support.
- Option B – Group Training – along with up to 3 other candidates – 2 to 4 Day residential courses – includes ALL Course Materials / Workbooks / Assessments / Resource Pack – 1 Year Membership of UKSOC – ongoing mentoring, profile page, peer group support & IT Support.
- Option C – Personal Tuition – 1:1 Training – 2 to 4 Day courses (close to you) – includes ALL Course Materials / Workbooks / Assessments / Resource Pack – 1 Year Membership of UKSOC – ongoing mentoring, profile page, peer group support & IT Support.
Each training option is comprehensive and interactive with an emphasis on practise, feedback and coaching in a safe, encouraging environment.